Friday, 28 October 2011

Blogger Quilt Festival - Fall 2011

The Fall 2011 Bloggers' Quilt Festival organised by Amy at Creative Side, is officially opening today and this time I have chosen to share with you my own and unique entry to a quilt competition that I called Japanese Crests. You have seen this quilt before of course as I used pictures of it for my banner!

I did all the applique and quilting by hand (mainly doing the applique on the train to work). I used some of my Japanese fabric, that I love so much on a black background. Once I had finished the 3 panels, I attached them together with fancy thread and beads. I finished this quilt in September 2006 for an exhibition, and unfortunately to this day, it is still not hanging anywhere in the house. Maybe one day, we'll buy a little wood stick to be able to hang it...

The wall-hanging looks like this
and here are pictures of each of the panels.  Each of the panel represents ancient family crests from Japan.




I used patterns from a book called Circles of the East by Kumiko Sudo.
I hope you've enjoyed your visit and that you'll call back again whether you have discovered my blog through the Festival or you are regular reader.

Celine

8 comments:

  1. Hi Celine! How are you my friend? I am so sorry that it has been such a long time since I last visited. But I am so happy I am today! Oh I love the story of this quilt! I have seen it so many times on your banner and never knew... :)
    And Celine, if you need a quick stick idea: art supply stores sell precut sticks that you can easily cut to size with secateurs! Enjoy the festival!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like they are all hand applique, you did a great job. I'm glad you still find time to quilt with your young family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique piece! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt and what a fantastic applique piece! Love the colors and fabrics you chose. Very nice. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one to be doing needle-work on the train. I have used Japanese crest patterns many times for applique, piecing, and quilting so your entry caught my eye. I hope it finds a hanging spot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pieces look lovely . Gorgeous fabrics and beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's some pretty applique. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments and I always try to respond to everyone. Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Share It