The first theme of the year for #Sewmystyle 2019 is to sew some activewear of our choice, no specific pattern. Last year I bought Fehrtrade' s book Sew your own activewear but I never tried any pattern yet. The book gives the basic block patterns without seam allowance and then explain how to use and modify them. So there was a little bit of prep work involved even before getting to the cutting phase.
I cut the close fitting long sleeve top from the book. I cut the chest smaller than the waist/ hips and added about 1' to the length.
I used a reversible jersey fabric I bought at the Cloth House warehouse a while ago. It is brown on one side and silver on the other. I picked the silver as the right side.
The assembly wasn't particularly difficult and I did everything on the overlocker which was rather quick.
And I now have a new top for yoga, with long sleeve so I don't get chilly during relaxation. And I tested it this morning 😊
Now when I assembled my top I didn't realised until I finished sewing it that I had added the neckdband on the wrong side. Since I was overclocking everything, I didn't really feel like taking it apart and decided to keep it as it was as a "design feature" and to complement it, I also added my label to the outside on the front for another design feature!
I started a new BOM, because I really needed a new project loved the look of it. I don't know if I love cooking, but I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen. So when I stumbled across this BOM by Adventurous Quilter, I decided to give it a go.
I hadn't done any paper piecing in a very long time so it was nice change. And there were a lot of tiny pieces in this first block. The first block is a kitchen mixer, a tool I use almost on a daily basis. I picked fabric in my stash in my stash and I found this perfect background for it.
And after a few evening working on it, my first block is finished.
Do I need any new projects? Ah ah of course not! Do I want to start new projects? Of course yes!
And I thought it would be kind to share the source of temptation with all, in case you have found those already.... Of course at this time of year, plenty of quilt-along, sew-along, BOM etc are starting and these ones have caught my eye Moda String Along This one happened over the holidays but it is a great reminder for those string blocks I have somewhere in a box Threadology Quilt starting in Feb until June - I love the way the blocks are set up in a spool A time for all seasons starting in Feb 2019 - I am not sure about this one, we'll see once the first block is released
My first finish of 2019 is also a UFO, which makes me very happy! I cut 2 rectangles of this cute linen fabrics years ago to make some fabric baskets. At the time I sew the side seam and for whatever reason at the time, I left them at that point. The 2 pieces of fabric have been sadly sitting on my sewing table ever since!
But finally I picked them up again last week and decided that they would be finished by Sunday. I picked some fabric from my stash for the lining and bought a lovely soft grey braid at my local haberdashery shop.
Finishing the baskets really took little time and that's what I did yesterday. I boxed the bottom of the basket so that they would have a good base. And the 2 little baskets were ready! I have put them in the bathroom so I can use one for my clean make up removers and one for the used ones.
First one of my Q1 FAL and first OPAM for the year!
Another year, another list? And so many projects to be distracted by.....😁 I have finally been brave enough (!) to list all my quilting UFO and the total came to 39, yes I know it is A LOT and that's just patchwork and quilting... and that's just the one I have started.... I didn't list the "Projects" for which I have everything ready to go.... But don't worry I won't list all 39 here but in the end I'll probably list more than 39.... because of course I need to add brand new shiny little projects that have caught my eye at the beginning of this new year. And I need to list the dressmaking ones too, surely? Ready, let's go... 3 full months to achieve....
Quilts: 1. Modern HST triangles (19 blocks are done), this one is hopefully also a serious contender for this quarter
2. Project 48 quilt with a few Solstice challenge blocks (all blocks done, might need a few more???)
3. Farmer's Wife (not half way yet....)
4. Farmer's Wife 1930 - only 24 blocks done
6. Scrappy trip - about half of the blocks done so far
7. Gipsy Wife (in progress), a new quilt along is starting in January so now is my chance for sure!
9. Granny Squares quilt - 60 blocks from 5 years ago
10. Underground railway - most blocks available from years ago -
11. 365-challenge - so many blocks still needed!
12. Kingfisher quilt - a portable project, as long as I prepare before I go....
13. Super Mario quilt
14. Impromptu quilt - abandoned so long ago... I dream of having the quilt on my bed next summer...
15. Scrappy strips quilt
16. Blue and purple quilt - this one is for my Auntie and I'd like to gift it this year....
1. Power trip bag -
2. Passport cover (up, up and away) for me 3. Handbag for me - Carrier's Conquest
4. Fremont tote bag 5. Fabric baskets (another UFO)
Dressmaking: 1. Lander trousers - navy 2. Hepburn trousers - burgundy 3. Lark top with leftovers flower jersey 4. Kimono (dressing gown)- dusty pink 5. Aveiro or Blackwood cardigan - stripe cream and brown
6. Kyoto or Voltaire top
7. Ostara or Brasov or Uvita top 8. Salida skirt 9. Summit peak top - cut alredy! 10. Barkcloth dress (Marbella or Daphne or Belladone) 11. Forester jacket with magic fleece 12. Underwear 13. Dropje or Malala or Toaster Sweater 14..Shirt 15. Fumeterre skirt 16. Yoga pants 17. Yoga long sleeve T-shirt 18. Pyjama M
Of course the beginning of a new year always tempts me towards new projects but I also wrote down my list of 12 projects for APQ UFO challenge to try and focus on a few forgotten, long abandoned projects.
I didn't fare very well last year on that challenge as I only completed 2.
The first project I picked (which was also on my list last year) was the Modern HST quilt that I started in 2016. I worked on it again last February and was so nearly there but then I hit 2 problems.
The first one is that I don't have enough background fabric to finish my blocks. I was planing to order some but hadn't at the time. I ordered some this weekend, only to be told that it is out of stock.... so the search is still on...
The second one was that I made a mistake in the assembly of block 20, unpicked it and duly lost part of the blocks so parked it until I found it again...which finally happened at the end of last year (I know...) so I finished the block last week. First block of 2019 😊
I now have 20 completed blocks
A few more to make to be able to assemble the top but the background fabric is running very low!
The year is over already and there has been a real shift towards dressmaking I think. A lot of quilts have been languishing waiting to be picked up again and I don't seem to ever find time sadly. But at least this quarter, i finished 2 as well as some other projects. All in all it feels that it has been a rather productive quarter. Quilts: 1. Modern HST triangles (19 blocks are done), this one is hopefully also a serious contender for this quarter but I seem to have lost part of a block... - no progress 2. Project 48 quilt with a few Solstice challenge blocks (all blocks done, might need a few more???) - no progress
3. Farmer's Wife (not half way yet....) - there is a new sew-along starting in August maybe, this is my chance! - no progress
4. Farmer's Wife 1930 - only 24 blocks done - it would be nice to pick it up again - no progress
5. Bubble blocks quilt - only the binding to finish now - finished
6. Scrappy trip - about half of the blocks done so far - no progress
7. Gipsy Wife (in progress), I would really like to pick this one again.... - no progress
9. Granny Squares quilt - 60 blocks from 5 years ago - no progress
10. Underground railway - most blocks available from years ago - no progress
11. 365-challenge - so many blocks still needed! - a few blocks
12. Kingfisher quilt - only 4 blocks sewn so far....- a few more blocks
13. Seeing Stars quilt - Finished
14. Impromptu quilt - abandoned so long ago... I dream of having the quilt on my bed next summer... - no progress
1. Power trip bag - not started - no progress
2. Passport cover (up, up and away) for me - no progress 3. Handbag for me - Carrier's Conquest - no progress
4. Toothbrush pouches x 2 - no progress 5. Fremont tote bag - finished
6. Tote bags or book bags - Christmas presents? - 3 made
7. Postcard of the world cross-stitch - finished
Dressmaking: 1. Lander trousers - navy - no progress 2. Lander trousers - burgundy - no progress 3. Lander shorts - green - no progress 4. Suki kimono (dressing gown)- dusty pink - no progress 5. Aveiro cardigan - stripe cream and brown - no progress
6. Hepburn trousers - navy - no progress
7. Demoiselle dress for A - kit - no progress
8. Tabor V-neck - dark grey - finished
9. Kyoto top - no progress
10. Voltaire top - no progress 11. Forester jacket with magic fleece - no progress 12. Clare coat - purple - finished
13. Barkcloth dress Marbella - no progress 14. Daphne day dress barkcloth - no progress 15. Belladone dress barkcloth - no progress 16. Acacia underwear- no progress 18. Dropje Sweater- no progress 19. Breeze shirt- no progress 20. Fumeterre skirt - no progress 21. Yoga pants - no progress 22. Activewear - no progress 23. Lingerie - Binky pants and Darcey bra finished
24. Ostara top - no progress
25. Pyjama M - finished - 2 pairs
26. Pyjama C - 2 pairs finished
27. Pyjama S - bottom finished
28. Pyjama A - done
29. Malala sweater - no progress
30. Toaster sweater in navy - no progress 31. Asta dress - finished
32. Juniper cardigan - finished
33. Blackwood cardigan - no progress 34. Christmas dress A - no progress 35. Christmas dress C - no progress 36. Raine dress - finished
37. Teahouse dress - no progress 38. Trudy turtleneck - no progress 39. Mandy boat tee - finished
40. Ginger jeans - no progress 41. Karri dress - no progress 42. Halloween skirt A - done
New Year, new list? Not a complete new list but I have been wondering if I should have more restrictive and focused lists that would be (hopefully) more achievable or if I should keep my looooong lists, which at least provide me with a range of options/choices! I think I will try a mix and see how I get on and I am trying to split between quilting, dressmaking and the rest! Quilting: 1. Get started on the Harry Potter sew-along and keep up the pace, if possible 2. Scrappy Trip Along - red and green blocks needed to be able to finish the top
3. 365 challenge, so many more blocks are needed, let's see if I can make a few
4. Dear Jane - BOW and TOW, is that possible?
5. HST modern sampler quilt - (19 blocks completed out of 24) - this one is my January goal on the APQ UFO challenge, it would be good to at least finish the top
6. Kingfisher Sew Along - prepare more blocks for sew on the go
7. Strips blocks for Moda Sew along
1. Lander or Hepburn trousers 2. Summit peak top, cut and ready to be sewn