Tuesday, 6 May 2014

From UFO to WIP - a tale of the wrong foot.

Monday was a bank holiday in the UK, which means we had a longer week-end to play and although the weather was OK, it wasn't that warm. Anyway it was nice to have all the family at home over 3 days with no hectic plans for the time we had and no travelling miles! I also had time to progress one of my UFO that had been on my to-do list for a while.

I had initially planned to quilt this top in March for the Lazy Bums Virtual Retreat but life decided otherwise. So this top was put aside (my lovely princess is so patient!)
 because I needed/wanted/decided to follow the Triangle Quilt-Along from Paula to make a quilt for my friend's birthday. I finished her quilt in time and I am so glad I did because I won the grand prize for the finished quilts link up! Anyway I quilted the triangle quilt on my frame and decided that the frame should not go back into storage until the Cat Quilts was quilted. So my DH helped me set up my quilt on the frame about 10 days ago so I could quilt it at the week-end.

And I tried last week-end but something wasn't right. My machine kept skipping stitches and shredding the thread until it broke. Of course, I tried all the usual cleaning, re-threading, changing the needle, modifying the tension etc but nothing worked and it was getting very frustrating. The triangle quilt had quilted beautifully, and now using the same brand of thread but in a different colour it just wouldn't work. So I took the machine out of the frame and methodically tried to locate the problem, I threaded it with the blue thread from the triangle quilts and what happened? Yes the thread was shredding and the machine was skipped stitches, until I finally had this light bulb moment on Saturday afternoon - I was using the wrong foot. I was so relieved to find the solution to my problem and also felt very stupid at the same time.

Anyway once I fitted the right foot on my machine, I could finally play and quilt as I felt inspired so I did a lot of swirls and some hearts,

butterflies and flowers.
And I also posted a few messages.

I took it off the frame on Sunday afternoon finally all quilted.

My binding strip is machine sewn on, so now all I have left is to hand stitch 7+ meters of binding on the back of the quilt!

Linking to Anything Goes Monday, WIP Wednesday, WOW, Needle and Thread Thursday, Brit Thursday Sewing Linky, I Quilt.
Celine

6 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to cure your quilting problem, your quilt looks lovely.

    ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing solution. Both feet are free motion, so what made the difference?
    LeeAnna Paylor Not Afraid of Color! lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I presume it is the spring which makes all the difference. Anyway it solved my issues!

      Delete
  3. I've seen a 20% coupon for FQS recently too. Well done on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you figured out the issue! It looks great!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand stitching is not my favorite part of quilting! Thanks for linking up while I hosted Anything Goes Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments and I always try to respond to everyone. Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Share It