Bag

 Back in October I bought a faux leather panel and some fabric to make a tote bag to each of my two daughters... for Christmas. Well let's say that everything was stashed away and nothing happened before Christmas. I then set my deadline as their birthday and again, I missed the target for the first one. But the difference there was that I had at least just started it before my daughter's birthday. I decided to use the Emma Tote Bag pattern by Bara-Studio for her bag since it is quite big and I needed to take into consideration the panel I had to make the most of the horse picture. 

I must admit that I would have loved to see dimension of the pieces, for those ones that are simple rectangles rather than having to print all. And I did find the files a little confusing. There was no marks for the handles on the pattern I printed so I ended up deciding for myself where to add them.

The pattern makes an unlined bag and although it is mentioned that it is possible to line it, there is no instruction towards it. This made me have to think hard about how to manage the zip panel with the lining. I ended up pulling out instructions for an old messenger bag pattern I had for years which had a zip panel closure.

I was finally ready to finish my bag on Saturday, attaching the lining to the main bag when I realised, with horror, that I had melted my zip when I pressed the panel to do the top stitching... I could have cried. 

I ended unpicking the zip and the panel from the bag to change the zip and redoing it all including the top stitching. No pressing this time though!

Once this was repaired, I added the pocket to the lining and an elastic to hold a water bottle.


And finally it was time to attach the lining to the main body of the bag and to finish it off with topsticthing, for which I used a yellow on the panel and orange on the rest of the bag.

Little zipper tabs on either end and finally I could gift the bag to my daughter, just 2 weeks later than planned! She loved it and forgave me for being late.

One finish for February, and this is my OPAM  for February. All made from my stash and one from my Fettle those finishes list.

Linking to Patchwork and QuiltDesign Wall MondayMidweek MakersWednesday Wait Loss

Céline

Comments

  1. I feel for you with having to redo the zipper. But great job on pushing through all of the challenges to end up with a beautiful bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, the zipper. That must have been so discouraging. The finished bag looks very nice. I like the little tag you hid inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous bag! I would have cried too over that melted zipper. Instead you kept a cool head and finished it beautifully. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/28/wednesday-wait-loss-369

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quelle aventure, et vraiment ce n'est pas drôle de défaire. Bravo pour le beau résultat au final !
    Merci pour le partage ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

It is snowing...

September in the Hexagon!