Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Summery mug rug

I signed up for (yet another!) swap last month for mug rug. There was no specific theme and my partner's requirements were very open so I had lots of freedom of what to do! I looked at my partner inspiration mosaic and saw a lovely picture that caught my eye, so I used it as a base for my design.
I assembled the background of my rug with a selection of random sizes green/lime fabrics that I then sliced off and sew back together.
I then draw a flower free-hand and cut all the petals from a bright pink fabric that I fused to the back.
I then stitched over the petals with a contrasting black thread, quilted the background with a pebble stitch.

I find these little projects a great opportunity to practise my free motion skill. The pebble stitch is fun to try but very onerous in thread, I didn't have enough of one bobbin to stitch this tiny mat. I really like the effect on the front

and on the back!

I tried a single fold binding for this tiny quilt. I usually use double folded but I wanted a skinnier binding so as not to overshadow the mat too much. And this is the finished mug rug which is flying to America today, second OPAM for August!
Celine

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I know your partner will be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOw gorgeous is that!Makes me feel happy. Love the pebbles quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments and I always try to respond to everyone. Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
There was an error in this gadget