She loves horses so of course the new Derby collection from Riley Blake was perfect for her.
For the pattern I used the Camp Fire Messenger bag by Noodlehead which was part of the Bag Club earlier in the year (the only pattern of the 6 I have tried so far I must admit).
And I used Superior Thread King Tut 903 and 926 for the top stitch as well as the construction of the bag.
And for the interfacing I used Decovil which I like to give some body to the bag and make it more sturdy, perfect for school.
The pattern was good and easy to follow, despite the multiple pockets but I had an issue with the gusset. I am not sure why mine was too short by about 5'. Anyway, I added a piece in the middle of the gusset, which is located at the bottom of the bag so not really visible. One of the difficulty I found was that I had to really think about the cutting beforehand as I was using a directional fabric. I didn't want to end up with ponys upside down!
The bag has one zipped pocket and 2 pleated pockets at the front.
There is also an internal pocket and a back pocket so it is perfectly roomy.
And because it is finished with binding at the top, it isn't a case of sewing the exterior and interior bags together and passing it all through to a gap to turn it right side out which is extremely difficult when you are using Decovil or something more rigid for the interfacing. So I was glad of the choice of finishing,
I also very quickly on Monday morning before school made a pencil roll for her brother with some left-over Diary of a Wimpy Kid fabric from Robert Kaufman that I had bought with him. He was happy to take it to school with him and his teacher has already commented on it!
These are my 2 first OPAM for September. The school bag was also my goal for A lovely year of Finishes.
Linking to Let's Bee Social and Whoop Whoop Friday.