Lunch bags

School starts back next week for all 3, not sure what to expect really after so long off! The girl's school has informed parents that there will be no school dinners so the kids have to bring their own lunch. I hate making packed lunches and the idea of doing it 5 days a week and still have variety is not necessarily appealing, but we have to adapt to the new reality. I decided to make some lunch bags for the girls to carry their lunch to school in style. They were happy to pick their fabric in my (extensive) stash!

I used this youtube tutorial to make the bags (I must admit I am not a fan of video tutorials!) but it was clear and easy to follow. 

The bags came together relatively quickly and easily, even though working with 2 layers of vinyl makes it more tricky to sew but by going slowly, it worked.

The lining of the bag is cut from a lovely ripstop waterproof fabric that I bought when we went to Hong-Kong 2 years ago.


I love the cinched top which will keep the meal covered when they travel back and forth.

2 happy girls ready to get back with their cute bags.

The only difference from the tutorial is that I cut the handles 1/2'' narrower than the pattern. I assembled them by sewing wrong side against wrong side (no turning inside out with vinyl), which have me same size handles than the pattern. I still found them too wide for the girls hands (and mine) so I folded and topstitched in place.  Note to self: next time, do this step before attaching the handles to the bag. 

And 2 OPAM for September, as well as a my One monthly goal. I had planned to make a school bag for my youngest on my Q3 FAL list but it has been replaced by these 2 little bags.

Linking to Whoop Whoop Friday

Celine

Comments

  1. Those are adorable! Off to watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bags. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

It is snowing...

September in the Hexagon!