Scrappy trip around the world

Finally a finished quilt! I started this quilt during the quilt-along on IG last year, with the aim to make it for my brother's 40th birthday, thinking that, for once I had plenty of time! It sounded like a perfect stash busting project too. I picked a rainbow layout and started making blocks during the quilt-along. I managed about half of the blocks last year in July, not even in time for the quilt-along, but didn't make any since. I didn't even cut any of the missing 84 strips I needed to make the missing red and green blocks....
With my brother's birthday looming and knowing I would see at the end of May, I set to finish the quilt before his visit. Cutting strips took a bit of time of course as well as some stash digging! But of course, once the strips were all available, it was a lot faster to make the blocks.
With all the blocks ready, I could finally build my rainbow :-)
I love the stained glass effect of a picture against the sun!
And finally it was time for quilting. I kept it very simple with a meander throughout and of course a few personnal messages too :-) I love to add some surprises for the recipient in the quilting


The quilt turned out quite big with 35 blocks
The backing fabric was the only one I bought, everything else came from my stash

The quilt was promptly square off so I could add the binding
and of course, the finishing stretch of sewing the binding by hand. A task that always takes longer than expected... let's say that the present wasn't ready when we had the cake on Friday night last week
but I managed to finish it by Sunday morning and to gift it to him just before he hit the road back to France

And I think he was pleased with it :-)
Quilt stat:
1260 squares (2.5') all from my stash

Finish at 60 x 84' 
Started June 2018 - Finished June 2019
Free motion quilted with King Tut 917

One first OPAM for June, one of my Q2 FAL list and one less UFO!

Linking to Wednesday Wait LossMidweek MakersLet's Bee SocialNeedle and Thread ThursdayWhoop Whoop Friday. 

Celine

Comments

  1. This fabulous quilt is a real eye-catcher. Your choice of colors, lovely fabrics, and extra special quilting are all stunning. What a treasure! And a stash buster to boot! Lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out beautifully, Celine! What a joyful explosion of color, and I love how you quilted secret messages into the quilt for your brother. Very cool -- he definitely won the sister lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt! I love rainbow effects in quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Scrappy Trips pattern, but your rainbow version is the BEST yet!!! What a lucky brother you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt. The colors are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome present for your brother! Love that rainbow. Thanks for Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your use of light and dark has created such a striking look. Beautiful quilt! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. I love quilts that are about color. And this quilt is definitely about color. Good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

I am Hesat blouse

Little more progress

September in the Hexagon!