Pencil cases

 More end of year teachers' presents on my list but I took a break from the bags to make some pencil cases. I can't really make bags for men I think. 

I started with 10'' squares for those pencil cases and added a 1'' square of faux leather on either side of the zip.

First step is to sew the zip to the outside and lining so it is "sandwiched" between the 2 layers.


Next I turned the tube inside out with the right side out


and top-stitched alongside the zip to avoid the lining sticking out. With faux leather I found it was more manageable to not try to sew the full length but just inside the zip. Still have to be very careful to pull the lining fabric all the way along so it doesn't get caught....


Next the tube is turned the other way to have the lining on the outside and the short sides are sewn together, making sure that the zip line with the mid point of the pouch 


Once both short sides are sewn, the pouch is quite flat.

For a neater finish, I covered the seam with a small piece of fabric to make a binding


All 4 corners are then boxed up at 1'' and the excess is cut off. I could have also covered the seams from the corner but at this point it becomes quite bulky so I didn't


Et voila! Job done, a neat lined boxy pencil case. I needed two for gifts. For the first one I made, I didn't top stich along the zip and as you can see below, the lining really pops out so I decided to make another one... 

At least, I'll have a spare one if I need a last-minute present! 3 more OPAMs for July and also another tick off my Q2 FAL list.



Celine

Comments

  1. Jolies trousses, j'aime bien moi aussi celles qui sont grandes ouvertes. Bon à savoir !
    Merci pour le partage de ton lien sur ma link party ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

September in the Hexagon!

Dare to Dresden - Day 5