February is such a short but busy month in our house with all the birthday parties and baking etc. Add to that a week away for the holidays and a lot of work and the month has virtually disappeared! Anyway there was a little (just a little sewing) squeezed in! Hoping for finish 1. Wanta Fanta will be my One Monthly Goal - no progress
2. Elephant parade - top pieced and quilted, needs binding
3. Toaster Sweater 2 - finished
1. Flower hexies for the Inchy Hexie Swap (Febuary) - done
2. Block lotto - 3 blocks
WIP 1. Farmer's wife, let's try for another 10 blocks - none...
2. Solstice challenge - 8 blocks behind already....
3. HST modern sampler quilt - half way - no progress
4. Project 48 - 5 more blocks this month? only one
5. Pumpkin Passport - some good progress
6. Dear Jane - aiming for 5 blocks - none
1. Custom cushions x 2
2. Zodiac BOM
3. Long Time Gone QAL - started
4. Flora Sew Along 5. Saunio Cardigan - pattern cut 6. Moneta Dress - finished
A little while ago, 3 lovely ladies launched the Moneta Party on Instagram. I had never heard of the Moneta dress and hadn't tried a Colette pattern but then I had just finished my second toaster jumper so I thought why not?
I bought the pattern printed this time and some lovely jersey fabric and set to make version 3 with the sleeves.
I was so scared it was going to be above my league but I so wanted to try anyway! So I went slowly, one step at a time. I lenghtened the body by 5 cm before I cut the fabric because I am quite tall and the paper pattern felt quite short against my body. I first made the top and I really liked the fit when I tried it on. It is tight but the fabric is just so soft.
The skirt was easy to put together. I was dreading to put the elastic on but Abigail posted a great tutorial that it went together really easily. Next time, I just need to remember not to sew it to close to the edge.
And then the next thing I was scared off was the hemming with the twin needles. I tried the twin needles with my toaster jumper but we didn't get on. So I started by pulling out my machine instruction book, only to discover that I had a twin needle button (hum...) and then read on different forums about Wonder Tape
and I must admit it changed my life! It made sewing the hems so much easier. The fabric doesn't slip at all! And then it made using the twin needles so much easier.
so I took my dress with me on holidays! And now I wasn't going to the beach but to a ski holidays. First time ever I take a dress in my suitcase for a ski holidays! But I wore it proudly on Valentine's Day.
There hasn't been as much sewing as usual/planned/hoped because we have been away for a week, skiing in the French Alps. We have been really blessed on our week off with fantastic weather and good snow. We all went skiing and had a great week away. It was so nice to see the blue sky everyday and the bright white of the snow under the sun. I was planning lots of hand sewing while away but the weather was so good that the temptation of the slopes kept me away from the needles!
We've returned nearly a week ago now but this week has been really busy with work but also with a nasty stomach bug that has sent me to bed for a full day.
And finally there has been more baking for our little queen "official" birthday.
On a wet and miserable Monday morning while I was inundated with work, I received this lovely message from Karen asking me if I would like to try her new quilt Mischief. I looked at the picture on her IG feed and of course I was converted and the name is so good too! And this week, I received Karen's package, which I must say is fantastic. It includes the pattern with its 4 design options, colouring pages, all the paper templates for a full size quilt as well as acrylic templates. How amazing is that?
Of course, I couldn't wait to get started, the first step was to choose which design I was going to go for. I picked variation 2. And because I had taxi duty for the kids, I was able to prepare a few shapes. I can see this quilt becoming addictive somehow!
The last few weeks have disappeared so quickly.... work has been crazy busy so there hasn't been much sewing time. The birthday season has also started so I have been baking this week-end.
I had cut my Toaster Sweater 2 in January but I never had time to start sewing it but finally this week-end. The sweater is easy to make there are only 4 parts: front, back and the 2 sleeves.
The vent has mitered corners but if you have made any bags where you square the bottom, well it is the same technique.
I really like the look of the sweater and the fabric I have picked for it from Fabric Galore. But I must admit, I find the body of the sweater just a little baggy and I think I didn't sew the sleeves perfectly. Never mind, this is only my second piece of dressmaking and I am still a beginner and after a good press it looks good anyway!
It is wearable and the fabric is lovely. But if I were to make a Toaster again, maybe I would go back to version 1!
Anyway, this is my first finish for February and one OPAM for February as well as one of my Finish Along for Q1.