The Utility Coat

 This one was started over a year ago. I joined an online class with Claire's Thread in May 2021 to sew the Ultimate Coat by the Maker's Atelier.

I didn't quite manage to finish it during the sew-along but made quite great progress. The Coat was assembled and only needed the finishing touches. 

Because this was running quite close to our move and all the end of school year sewing, I left it aside hoping it wouldn't be for too long... well in the end it took me well over a year to pick it up again. I knew one of the step that was left was to sew the drawstring chanel at the waist but somehow my markings didn't align so I wasn't sure how to make sure it would be sewn straight around the waist. That's probably why I wasn't that keen to dig it out again. 

At long last, I got everything out last month and decided to sew the channel anyway. With that done, only the addition of the elastic around the wrists remained in terms of sewing. That alone again took a few weeks before I sat down to do it...

And finally adding the cords and toggles to the channels as well as the plastic snaps was all that was needed to finish this coat. What can I say? finished it today probably because of/ thanks to the deadline...

I used a light grey waterproof ripstop fabric from Dalston Mill Fabrics to make this coat so it's very light. The edge of the fronts and the channel are finished with a lovely flowery Liberty-like tape for a spot of colour that is visible through the outside fabric. 
The coat is sewn with flat felled seams to keep it waterproof and for a matter finish. 

This was my  One monthly goal for November so just made it by the skin of my teeth... so happy that this is now finished and wearable, not warm enough for the winter but at least it should be waterproof under the rain and has a hood!

Linking to Wednesday Wait LossHappy Needle and Thread,  Brag about your Beauties, Off the wall Friday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Can I get a Whoop WhoopPut your foot downPeacock Party, Patchwork and QuiltDesign Wall Monday, Monday MakingMidweek Makers.

Celine

Comments

  1. Wow! Your coat looks great! Congrats on your finish. I'm glad you got it out to work on it again and set it as a goal. It will be ready and waiting for you in the Spring. Woohoo for finishing your November goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you for making a coat, and it looks like the weather is going to make it so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, c'est un vêtement qui paraît compliqué à coudre, et à garder étanche. Avec une polaire dessous, ce sera parfait pour les prochains jours !
    Je ne connaissais pas cette expression "the skin of my teeth" ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

It is snowing...

September in the Hexagon!