Wednesday, 29 February 2012

CQ Journal - February block

I pieced this block earlier this month, using the same idea as last month block. I picked the central fabric first (a scrap from a silk tie) and tried to find in my stash fabrics that would match the colours of the focus fabric to finish the square off. Once the block was pieced, I went through my ribbons, embellishments etc but I couldn't find anything which I thought would work for this block. So I was left to work with embroidery and beads only but the block wasn't really "talking to me", I couldn't find any inspiration. So I left the block aside until this week when I slowly started to embroider the seams. And this is what I ended up with, I am actually pleased with the block I have done, especially for a block which wasn't "talking to me"!


I added this flower from lace I hand-dyed years ago. The pink was very close to the pink fabric so that was a good match!

I also decided that it would be good to make a block that would have images of this month so I couched a piece of the ribbon I had been using to make the birth announcement earlier this month. To echo the focus fabric, I couched it with straight stitches on each side and mirrored the colours of the thread to that of the opposite fabric.
I also added 3 hearts as February is of course the month of love! And I choose to add 3 because Miss Strawberry Shortcake turned 3 in February.
The 12 green beads on the yellow which echo the focus fabric will remind me I did the block in 2012.
And finally we had winter and spring weather this month so I mixed flowers and snowflakes in my last embellishment.

I might revisit the block I did in January now to add a few clues about that particular month like I did for February.
OK ready to piece next block now.
Celine

1 comment:

  1. sometimes you just have to sit on your hands and wait for the "message" to come through xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments and I always try to respond to everyone. Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Share It