Saturday, 28 June 2014

A problem and (hopefully) a solution

My A lovely year of finishes and Lazy Bums challenge for June was to make a quilt for my grand-Mum's 85th birthday (earlier in the month) with some floral blocks I collected a few years (2010-2011) back as part of a swap/BOM. My Grand-Mum doesn't go in the garden much anymore but she had a huge garden with plenty of flowers when she had her garden. She also lost her husband, my Grand-Dad earlier in the year after more than 65 years of marriage. So I am hoping my little quilt will cheer her up a little bit.

I got the blocks out (20 of them, 6.5' squares) and tried to figure out how to use them into a quilt.

Although I wasn't planning on a king-size quilt, I knew 20 x 6.5' squares weren't going to yield a big quilt, more a wall-hanging size. Of course I had scraps of fabric left but I wasn't sure how much. So I put my thinking cap on and decided that putting those blocks on point and finding some fillers would maybe work.

Because time is limited (but not the number of projects ;-)), I thought I had to keep it simple if I hoped to see that quilt finished any time soon.
So for the filler I decided on a box in a box (not sure about the "official" name of that block) using my most colourful fabric until I realised I wouldn't have enough for all the fillers!
So I made my fillers for the centre of the quilt with my most colourful fabric: 12 of them.

and 8 with another fabric for the sides and corners, planning to I then cut in half or quarter depending where the triangles are going

All the blocks together for this top:
So this is not finished of course and won't be by the end of June but I am so glad that I have got my blocks out, found a plan for my quilt and work on it. I am now planning to frame the centre with a narrow white strip before adding a "fancy" border but I need to first sit down and do the maths! My ulitmate goal to finish this is end of July when I should see my Grand-Mum so I'll try to keep at it and not bury it for another couple of years!

So that was another 20 blocks for the 350-blocks projects this month.
Linking to Whoop Whoop Friday, A lovely year of finishes, WIP Wednesday, Anything Goes Monday, WOW.
Celine


3 comments:

  1. That looks great! I don't think I would have ever thought of that alternate block, but I really like it. I think I will put that idea away for later! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will look quite beautiful! All those white rectangles in diagonals make me think of a garden fence. Which goes well with your flowery fabrics. So, to me, you succeeded with your garden theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Celine,
    Just found your Blog thru Ester Aliu link. I had not looked thru the Lazy Bum list at Blogs. Like the idea for this quilt with alternate block. Hope all is well with u, ginabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments and I always try to respond to everyone. Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
There was an error in this gadget