Long lost blocks?

On Thursday I deep dived into some drawers in my sewing room. I found some treasures, some things to part with when normal life resume and also some stuff for the bin. Among the findings were piles of blocks from swaps or bees I did years ago. In the days of Flicker, I used to join in about everything that was going on so I ended up with lots of different blocks that I sadly stashed away for "later". I also found a big pile (72 of them) of simple blue blocks made of 4 x 2.5' strips and a stash of strips to make even more blocks. 
Using up the remaining strips yielded 15 additional blocks. With 87 blocks in my hand, making 2 tops sounded like a better option. I settled on a 7x7 layout for each, which meant I needed 98 blocks in total. Another dive, in my scrap box this time and I retrieved the left-over strips from my Scrappy Trip Around the World finished last year to make the missing blocks and very quickly the pile was big enough to be assembled into quilt tops
The first one I finished used all blue blocks and will be given out as a birthday present in the next few weeks hopefully.
As for the second one, I added a little rainbow 🌈 in the blue sky  The scrappy trip quilt was made with rainbow colours so I couldn't resist mixing things up a little for the second top.
After the 2 tops were sewn, I found 2 left over blocks on my desk, I made 28 extra blocks instead of 26! 
I think those blue blocks date from over 10 years ago, I believe I won them at a raffle at a Sewing Night. The 72 blocks and strips went from being long forgotten until last Thursday to being 2 new quilt tops by Sunday 🙂 Now I soon need to get my frame out as I have 5 tops ready for quilting.

Linking to Monday Design Wall,  Wednesday Wait LossMidweek Makers Needle and Thread Thursday

Celine

Comments

  1. Yeah!! These blocks were a great find, and I love what you did with them. Isn't it nice to get them into quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on joining all sorts of block swaps online. In the mid 1990s I was on Prodigy and there was an active group of quilters sharing blocks. I've made quilts out of several but have many sets left including a set of cute dog blocks and a set of cat blocks! Along with way too many 4.5" blocks. I hope I can be as successful with finishing some of these blocks as you have been. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You certainly turned that long forgotten project into something special. Thanks for sharing it on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

September in the Hexagon!

Blog hop and a giveaway

Dare to Dresden - Day 5