(Nearly) zero waste bag

 I hadn't listen to a podcast for a long time but a few weeks ago I listen to the Love to Sew episode on zero-waste sewing. I checked the links from the episode and was intrigued by the ZWWave bag pattern by bag.uettes. The shape is beautiful and I figured it should be easy straight forward enough to try this pattern for end of year gifts, especially this year when I have lots to make.

I duly bought the pattern and printed it to try my first bag. The instructions are very clear and the pattern pieces are cleverly drawn so you can make about any size you would like. 

Because I'm using faux-leather for my bags, I wanted them lined as it looks nicer. So after sewing the handles to the bag pieces, I attached the lining pieces to the bag, sewing through the top curves. 


Last step was to assemble the 2 bag pieces to finish the bag. And that where I realised that the zero-waste bag is only zero waste if it is made with fabric that can be used on either side (no wrong or right side). So at that point, I had to cut 2 additional outside and lining pieces with a reverse curve to be able to complete the bag. Of course this means that the zero-waste bag with 2-sided fabric or patterned fabric is a "zero-waste 2 bags"! As long as you make 2 bags then you still don't have waste.

The bag is also neatly finished with the corners boxed up.


And I like these little baubles to cover the end of the straps, such a nice detail!

2 teachers' presents completed (both are PE teachers as well as form teachers). Now I have many more to make! But that's 2 more OPAM for June too and one (or two) of my Q2 FAL list.

Linking to Monday Making, Monday Design WallMidweek MakersWednesday Wait Loss

Celine

Comments

  1. Love large bags I can use to carry anything I need! These are sure to be welcomed gifts. And now you have two! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bag, and the zero waste concept. Thanks for sharing your beautiful bags with us. Thanks also for linking with Design Wall Monday at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

September in the Hexagon!

Dare to Dresden - Day 5