Star in a star

In the last week or so, I have been very busy getting on with my bee blocks. I can't believe how quickly a month pass really. Anyway on Friday I finished my 2 blocks for Simply Solids Bee. Diane asked for a 2 stars block and left us to it! These are the blocks I made for her.

As usual when I try a new design, it is always scribbled on a piece of paper and then when I want to make the blocks again, I have to go back to my "drawing board".

So I decided that I'll write a tutorial on my blog. Even if it isn't of any use to anybody else, then I'll find the instruction again! So here it is!




For one block you need
for the 4-patch unit: 4 colored squares 2'
4 squares 2' (background)
for the small flying geese units: 4 colored squares 2.5' and 4 squares 2.5' (background)
4 squares 3.5 ' (background)
for the big flying geese units: 4 colored squares 4' and 4 squares 4' (background)

Draw a diagonal line on the 2.5' and 4' squares. Pair with the background squares and sew 1/4 inch either side of the diagonal to make half square triangles


Pair the HST to make some flying geese
Use the 4 colored squares to make a 4-patch for the centre of the star
Now add one flying geese on either side of the 4-patch square
Add a background square on either side of the flying geese
Add the remaining flying geese to finish the small star which finishes at 6.5'
Now add a flying geese on either side of the star
and finally the remaining strips either side of your star

Et voila! Your star is done, it should measure 12.5'
I don't write tutorial very often so if you use this and find it doesn't make sense or you need more explanation, please let me know.
Linking to Sew Darn Crafty and Let's Get Acquainted
Enjoy!
Celine

Comments

  1. Dropped by from LGA, great block tute and liking your colour choices for both blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These star blocks are fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo! stalking the postman now xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. came today.. thank you so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great star block! I'm making a star sampler quilt and this would be great for it! Thanks for linking up to Let's Get Acquainted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

September in the Hexagon!

Dare to Dresden - Day 5

Blog hop and a giveaway