Covid Christmas

 Since Sunday night, we have been placed in Tier 4 (out of 3? until Saturday) and full lockdown (what is the difference, apart from the name?) is looming for us but I think for the whole country too. Christmas plans have been smashed last minute for lots of people sadly. We knew that it would be very difficult/virtually impossible to go back to France so we had abandoned any plans to go a while ago. Nothing worse than a roller-coaster of emotions the week before Christmas with 3 children in the house. It felt it would be too much after such a heavy years if we planned to go and everything collapsed at the last minute. 


So if you can't share the warmth of being together and the love of seeing your family, the next best thing (after video calls, or maybe before?) has to be a quilt for sure! My plan was to send my Christmas tree to my Mum earlier this month but I didn't finish it as quickly as I had planned/hoped (nothing new here!)

You might remember that this was the quilt that stopped my machine earlier this month. Well, once I finished the straight line quilting off the frame, I attached the binding. I originally planned to sew it all by machine, which I don't really like. Eventually I decided against it and finished it by hand, which took a few evenings. 
To make good use of my Cricut and Easy Press I had this idea to stick some glittery baubles to the tree topper. Somehow, I just couldn't get on with it, I think I was a little scared. The tree was parked away for a few weeks until such day I had time to play with the Cricut. The day finally arrived this week-end. In the end, it was quite easy to cut and stick the pieces on the quilt.
And I must say I really like the effect of the glittery texture, quite difficult to see on this picture but it really lift the quilt and bring some interest to it I think.


The last thing I needed to do was to finish writing the nasty word I was trying to quilt when my machine stopped, I had only managed "Cov" when she refused to move. Of course, the frame is packed away now, we had to make way for the real Christmas tree, so I had to free-hand the rest of it and here it is on the front and on the back (mirrored) Covid with a little virus next to it. 

It was important to mark the occasion really, as a reminder for the future. The quilt is now on its way to my Mum, I am not sure she will have it before Christmas, but I know she will cherish it! 

Quilt stats:
Pattern: Tinsel Tree by Everyday Stitches started during their quilt-along
Fabric: top all from my stash, back from Stof fabric, bought for this quilt.
Free-motion quilting with King Tut #936
Size: 70 x 73''
Started in September 2020, finished in December 2020

One more OPAM for December and one of my Fettle those Finishes list.


Celine

Comments

  1. That is a good idea, and what I did. Just expect a simple, virtual gathering, and keep expectations low. Your quilt is gorgeous, and should help make up a bit for not seeing your family in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui, un peu compliqué de traverser la Manche cette année... Bon courage pour ce confinement, je pense que chez nous aussi il va y en avoir un autre bientôt. Très beau quilt, et effectivement, les ronds sont un bel ajout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen this pattern for a Christmas tree before! Lovely finish so nice and bright. I agree, a quilty hug is not the same as a real hug but we will take what we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful quilt! Just love the design and the colors are vibrant. Sorry about the quarantine! But life is not much better elsewhere either. Hello from the US!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

It is snowing...

September in the Hexagon!